When you decide to end your marriage, you will receive advice and guidance from nearly everyone--regardless if they, too, are divorced. A lot of the advice you receive will be beneficial to you, but a lot of it may be the wrong thing to hear. Making a mistake in the divorce process is to be avoided as much as possible, which includes avoiding some behaviors you otherwise considered to be perfectly fine.
The following are important things to avoid in the divorce process, including but not limited to:
- Overusing social media – No matter how frustrated you may be feeling regarding your ex, it is essential you don’t go on a tirade by posting pictures or status updates against this person, especially if you share children together. It is also important, for financial reasons, to avoid posting photos of your lavish vacation or shopping spree.
- Failing to take care of yourself – Whether this is in the financial or emotional sense, it is important you remember who you are making this decision for: yourself. Taking up a new hobby, such as yoga or reading, is important to fulfilling your self-care needs. It is also important you don’t hesitate to scale back the lifestyle you had become accustomed to, and perhaps invest in a financial advisor who will advise you on your best course of action.
- Leave your children out – Whether this concept includes sitting your children down to tell them of the divorce, or instead failing to keep in touch with them
- Badmouthing your ex – This includes everyone in your life--your coworkers, family, children, friends, and even strangers. It is important you don’t perpetuate a view of your ex that is completely negative, as you never know how this will come to you later.
- Hiding money – This is guaranteed to land you in trouble.
Contact Our Trusted Rocklin Divorce Attorney Today
Myers Family Law is comprised of compassionate, experienced, and skilled Rocklin divorce attorneys who are committed to helping clients obtain the results they deserve. Whether your situation is amicable or contentious, you can rest assured we will improve your chances of a beneficial outcome. Allow us to fight for you today--we won't give up on you.
Schedule an initial consultation at your earliest convenience. You may do so by calling (916) 634-0067.